Orders by weight:
- Carries the transgene coding for the 695-amino acid isoform of human Alzheimer β-amyloid (Aβ) protein in addition to the transgene for the human P301L mutation of the microtubule-associated protein tau gene (MAPT)
- Amyloid plaque distribution, number, morphology and density is similar between APPSWE-Tau mice and APPSWE mice
- Motor disturbances and morphology of neurofibrillary tangles (NFT) is comparable between the APPSWE-Tau and Tau mice, although older female APPSWE-Tau mice have a marked increase in limbic areas compared to Tau females
- Useful for the study of Alzheimer's Disease that address both the formation of β-amyloid plaques and NFT and to study drugs for treatment or prevention of Alzheimer's disease
- The 2469 Hemizygous / Hemizygous mice are hemizygous for the APPSWE mutation and hemizygous for the Tau mutation.
- The 2469 Wild Type / Hemizygous mice are wild type for the APP mutation and hemizygous for the Tau mutation and serve as one control for the 2469 Hemizygous / Hemizygous model.
- Pink eyed animals, associated with certain coat colors, and the Pde6brd1 retinal degeneration mutation can cause light sensitivity and/or blindness in some animals. This may impact the results of behavioral testing. Upon request, animals can be screened for eye color, coat color, and/or rd1 homozygosity for an additional fee.
- Rd1 tested mice (2469-RD1-F and 2469-RD1-M) are wild type or heterozygous for the Pde6brd1 mutation. Genotype shown in the table above refers to the APPSWE and Tau transgenes.
Taconic cannot accept orders by weight for this model. Please note that shipments may contain animals with a larger weight variation.
Genetic Background: C57BL/6, DBA/2, SJL, SW Mixed Background
Origin: The APPSWE-Tau double microinjected model was developed by mating homozygous female Tau mice with hemizygous male APP mice (2508 female x 1349 male). The resultant offspring are either hemizygous for both transgenes or wild type for the APPSWE transgene and hemizygous for the Tau transgene. The APPSWE-Tau control model 3273 was developed at Taconic to provide an appropriate genetic control for the APPSWE-Tau double microinjected model. The wild type APP-Tau control model is maintained by mating wild type Tau female mice (1638) to wild type APPSWE male mice (1349).
Genetics: Wild type for Nnt mutation; carries Pde6brd1 mutation
Lewis J, Dickson DW, Lin W-L, Chisholm L, Corral A, Jones G, Yen S-H, Sahara N, Skipper L, Yager D, Eckman C, Hardy J, Hutton M, McGowan E. (2001) Enhanced Neurofibrillary Degeneration in Transgenic Mice Expressing Mutant Tau and App
, Science, 293(5534):1487 – 1491