Easy access means starting your project sooner
EZcohort® models are distributed under simple terms of sale that grant the purchaser rights to use, breed and crossbreed for three years. The full terms of sale are located on any EZcohort® model page by clicking on the 'Licensing' accordion. Most models are sold under terms which grant perpetual use rights, but a few models have limited use terms of three years which may be renewed. The term of use for each model is called out on the model page.
View the Taconic Biosciences' Webinar:
- CLEAR DELIVERABLES: Receive use rights and four mutant animals (at least heterozygous for all alleles), all included in a single purchased price
- SIMPLE TIMELINE: 14-16 weeks after order receipt
- WORLDWIDE ACCESS: most models are available to both for-profit and non-profit organizations
Want to start with a different cohort size? Contact our breeding management experts
to discuss options to grow your colony faster.
Receiving breeders is just the start. Every EZcohort® order comes with accompanying support material. Upon purchase, you receive a colony maintenance instruction pack that includes:
- PCR genotyping protocol
- Mating instructions
- SNP testing resources and advice to monitor genetic drift
- What are EZcohort® models?
EZcohort® models are a collection of Taconic's cryopreserved, genetically engineered models.
- Why is it called "EZcohort®"?
Taconic has made it easy for researchers to access these models through the use of simple terms of sale and predefined cohort sizes. The terms of sale may be downloaded from the EZcohort® model page under the licensing accordion.
- Can I just place an order and receive the model?
Yes. Submit your order by emailing the signed terms of sale along with a purchase order to email@example.com. The cryorecovery will begin automatically.
- Are EZcohort® models cryopreserved?
Yes. Cryorecovery generally takes 14-16 weeks.
- How long does it take to receive the model?
EZcohort® models program delivers a minimum of 4 mice that are at least heterozygous for the mutant alleles. They will be delivered to you in 14-16 weeks.
- Can I breed these mice at my facility?
Yes. Our conditions of use allow you to breed or crossbreed the mice for either a limited 3 year term or a perpetual term (depending on the model). This is included in the purchase price.
- What if I want more than 4 mice?
No problem. If you require more than 4 mice, we will put you in contact with one of our Scientific Program Managers. They will work with you to develop a breeding program that will meet the goals of your study. Learn more about Taconic's Scientific Services.
- Can I request cryopreserved sperm or embryos?
Unfortunately, we cannot provide cryopreserved materials.
- What health standard are EZcohort® models delivered at?
All mice are delivered at the Murine Pathogen Free™ health standard.
- What if I want the models at a different health standard?
We can deliver EZcohort® models at other health standards. We will have you engage with one of our Scientific Program Managers to discuss the specific needs of your project.
- I searched all your models and can't find the one I require for my studies. Can you help?
Yes. Taconic is a fully licensed provider of model generation services and Scientific Program Managers can help you. Please contact us with questions and for more information.
- How are EZcohort® models different from the Knockout Repository, and GEM Collections?
The GEM Collection and the Knockout Repository are collections of genetically engineered models with somewhat different licensing terms. Some GEM Collection models are restricted to non-profit customers.
- Will I need to pay for shipping costs?
Yes. Taconic Transit Cages and freight are charged separately.
- For models with limited 3 year terms, how is the license term tracked?
Taconic's legal department will follow up annually with a simple request to confirm ongoing breeding and use. At the end of the third year, a continuation agreement and maintenance fee will be sent.
- What if the cryo-recovery fails?
While we take every precaution to ensure a project is completed on time, in rare instances cryo-recoveries fail. If this should happen with your project, you will be contacted immediately. We will work with you to discuss the implications of the first attempt, and recommend the next steps. In many cases, we immediately schedule a second attempt to recover and provide a revision to the timeline.
Current EZcohort® Models: