Rederivation and RapidEXPANSION™
Taconic Biosciences' embryology solutions combines in vitro fertilization (IVF) with advanced technologies to accelerate the development of your colony.
Whether you require a simple reset of the health status or an accelerated build of your breeding colony, Taconic offers a colony management solution to meet your needs.
Through the duration of your entire project, we will keep you informed of the status of your colony through communication with our dedicated project managers and via the eTACONIC® online colony portal.
Mouse and Rat Standard Rederivation
Rederivation confers multiple benefits. The health status of a line can be reset, enabling you to work with a line that meets your institution's vivarium requirements. Taconic offers multiple health standards
and is the only provider of germ-free derivations for microbiome studies. This service is available for both mice and rats, and all rederived animals are delivered with an IHMS-52 Health Report
. Additionally, Taconic maintains multiple housing options for housing your research colony, both pre- and post-rederivation. These flexible housing options enable health monitoring for your colony as well as the administration of a custom diet or medications.
- Rederivation will eradicate your colony of adventitious viruses, bacteria, and parasites
- Only 2 donor males required and up to 10 female donors
- Donors from Taconic, the client, or other providers may be used to preserve background
- Animals from separate lines can be used as donors to combine cross-breeding with RapidEXPANSION™, saving 3-6 months
- Multiple health standards are available, including Murine Pathogen Free™ (MPF™), Restricted Flora™ (RF™), Opportunist Free™ (OF™), Excluded Flora (EF), Defined Flora (DF), and Germ Free (GF).
Germ-Free Derivations and Custom Microbiomes
As the only commercial provider of germ-free derivations
, Taconic is uniquely positioned to generate germ-free cohorts of any model needed for your research study. Additionally, through Taconic's TruBIOME® service
, custom microbiota can be introduced to your gnotobiotic cohort and maintained for multiple generations.
We understand that a successful research pipeline demands a balance of speed, price, and quality. When time to data is critical, natural breeding is often the rate-limiting step. RapidEXPANSION™ allows you to move from donor animal to full production breeding within a matter of weeks.
Taconic can employ IVF and large scale embryo transfer methodologies to rapidly expand your colony to hundreds of animals with the same week of birth.
- Allows for the generation of cohorts of 20 to> 500 mice within the same week of birth
- Requires only a few donor male mice
- Intercross RapidEXPANSION™ allows you to initiate cross-breeding of lines by IVF, saving 3-6 months
- Oocyte donors from Taconic, the client, or other providers may be used
- Supports the 3Rs concept of animal research by reducing the number of male and female donors
Taconic's strength in animal model colony management is based on the interplay of several mutually supporting technological specialties that combine to make breeding and cohort delivery as efficient as possible. Our RapidEXPANSION™ service is one such example, where our embryology and IVF facilities have the capability to produce cohorts of over 1,000 mice within the same week of birth.
Combined with sperm or embryo cryopreservation, our RapidEXPANSION™ service enables you to go from frozen embryo or sperm samples to study-ready cohorts in much less time than traditional breeding setups.