Taconic Biosciences is the only comprehensive provider of microbiome product and service solutions, a world leader in germ-free husbandry, and has produced germ-free rodent models since 1961.
Taconic offers three key models as off-the-shelf germ-free mice for immediate delivery in typical study sizes, as well as two new constitutive knockout models. Germ-free mice are devoid of all microorganisms (as determined within the limitations of the detection methods available), including bacteria, fungi and viruses; they have no microbiome. Strict Taconic husbandry and testing programs
ensure that these mice remain germ-free; to assure preservation of the Germ Free health standard
of your animals during shipping, Taconic has designed and constructed a unique container system, the germ-free shipper
What our customers say:“Seres relies on Taconic's germ-free mice to study the microbiome and our drug candidates.”
Germ-free mice may be maintained as germ-free long-term or they may be associated with a custom microbiota. Taconic provides custom association services
using customer-provided materials.
Taconic's inbred C57BL/6NTac
mice and outbred Swiss Webster
mice are immediately available from our commercial production colonies at the Germ Free (GF) health standard
. In addition the C57BL/6 Germ Free Il10 Knockout (B6)
is available in small quantities for pilot studies. The Germ Free Il10 Knockout (BALB/c)
is expected to be available in Fall 2018. Additional germ-free models are in development.
Germ Free C57BL/6 (Black 6)
- C57BL/6, also called Black 6 or B6, is the most commonly used inbred strain. It is the preferred background strain for most genetically engineered mouse models.
- B6 is a versatile mouse strain. It is the preferred strain for diet-induced obesity studies. It is used in a number of autoimmune disease models, including experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE) and the collagen-induced arthritis (CIA) model. For oncology, B6 has been used in syngeneic tumor models. It is also used in addiction, behavior, toxicology and many other research areas.
- The Taconic B6, C57BL/6NTac, is the substrain from which most B6 embryonic stem (ES) cells have been derived. The KOMP and MPC programs use C57BL/6NTac-derived ES cells.
- Immunology: Th1-biased
- More information and pricing is available on the Black 6 page.
: Germ Free Black 6
mice are available for immediate delivery. Study cohorts available of 100+.
Germ Free BALB/c
Taconic is the only commercial provider of germ-free BALB/c mice.
- BALB/c is a commonly used, general purpose inbred strain with good reproductive performance.
- BALB/c is widely used for immunology studies. It displays good antibody production and is often used for vaccine studies and production of monoclonal antibodies. BALB/c is widely used for syngeneic tumor model studies as well as in asthma and allergy studies.
- Immunology: Th2-biased
- More information and pricing is available on the BALB/c page.
: Germ Free BALB/c
mice are available in small cohort quantities.
Germ Free Swiss Webster
Taconic is the only commercial provider of germ-free Swiss Webster mice.
Availability: Germ Free Swiss Webster
- Swiss Webster is a general purpose outbred strain with excellent reproductive performance.
- Extensively used for decades as an all-purpose stock for research and drug safety testing. Swiss Webster is also commonly used for gnotobiotic support. GF Swiss Webster mice are excellent embryo recipients or foster mothers.
- More information and pricing is available on the Swiss Webster page.
mice are available for immediate delivery. Study cohorts available of 50+.
Germ Free Il10 Knockout (B6 and BALB/c)
Watch the following Taconic video "Flexible Film Isolator Demonstration" to see a detailed demonstration on how to work with a germ-free isolator and pack a germ-free shipper. Step-by-step unpacking instructions for the germ-free shipper can be found on our animal shipping products