- Carries the transgene coding for the 695-amino acid isoform of human Alzheimer β-amyloid (Aβ) protein in addition to the transgene for the human P301L mutation of the microtubule-associated protein tau gene (MAPT)
- Amyloid plaque distribution, number, morphology and density is similar between APPSWE-Tau mice and APPSWE mice
- Motor disturbances and morphology of neurofibrillary tangles (NFT) is comparable between the APPSWE-Tau and Tau mice, although older female APPSWE-Tau mice have a marked increase in limbic areas compared to Tau females
- Useful for the study of Alzheimer's Disease that address both the formation of β-amyloid plaques and NFT and to study drugs for treatment or prevention of Alzheimer's disease
- The 2469 Hemizygous / Hemizygous mice are hemizygous for the APPSWE mutation and hemizygous for the Tau mutation.
- The 2469 Wild Type / Hemizygous mice are wild type for the APP mutation and hemizygous for the Tau mutation and serve as one control for the 2469 Hemizygous / Hemizygous model.
- Model 3273 contains the same strain and stock genetic contribution as 2469, and serves as the double wild type control.
- Pink eyed animals, associated with certain coat colors, and the Pde6brd1 retinal degeneration mutation can cause light sensitivity and/or blindness in some animals. This may impact the results of behavioral testing. Upon request, animals can be screened for eye color, coat color, and/or rd1 homozygosity for an additional fee.
- Rd1 tested mice (2469-RD1-F and 2469-RD1-M) are wild type or heterozygous for the Pde6brd1 mutation. Genotype shown in the table above refers to the APPSWE and Tau transgenes.
Genetic Background: C57BL/6, DBA/2, SJL, SW Mixed Background
The APPSWE-Tau double microinjected model was developed by mating homozygous female Tau mice with hemizygous male APP mice (2508 female x 1349 male). The resultant offspring are either hemizygous for both transgenes or wild type for the APPSWE transgene and hemizygous for the Tau transgene. The APPSWE-Tau control model 3273 was developed at Taconic to provide an appropriate genetic control for the APPSWE-Tau double microinjected model. The wild type APP-Tau control model is maintained by mating wild type Tau female mice (1638) to wild type APPSWE male mice (1349).
Wild type for Nnt mutation; carries Pde6brd1 mutation
Lewis J, Dickson DW, Lin W-L, Chisholm L, Corral A, Jones G, Yen S-H, Sahara N, Skipper L, Yager D, Eckman C, Hardy J, Hutton M, McGowan E. (2001) Enhanced Neurofibrillary Degeneration in Transgenic Mice Expressing Mutant Tau and App, Science, 293(5534):1487 – 1491.