Orders by weight:
- Carries the human homolog of the Harvey rat sarcoma virus oncogene (c-Ha-ras, now identified as HRAS) with its own promoter region in addition to the endogenous murine Ha-ras oncogene
- Total ras-encoded p21 protein expressed at 2-3 times normal levels, in all tissues, with somatic mutational activation found only in tumor tissue transgenes
- Significantly more rapid onset and higher incidence of more malignant tumors after treatment with genotoxic carcinogens compared to wild type controls
- Very low incidence of spontaneous tumors, with no indication of pre-neoplastic cell stages or tumors at 6 months of age
- Approximately 50% of transgenic rasH2 mice develop spontaneous tumors by 18 months of age, predominantly angiosarcomas and lung adenocarcinomas
- Useful as a rapid, cost-effective, and sensitive carcinogenicity testing model for detection of nongenotoxic and genotoxic carcinogens, as supported by studies conducted by ILSI
- Also useful in the study of oncogene-initiated tumorigenesis and can be used to evaluate tumor treatment compounds
- In Japan, contact CIEA for purchase of rasH2 mice
- Please note that the model nomenclature has been updated. The CIEA designation for the rasH2 model, CB6F1/Jic-TgrasH2@Tac was used previously.
Taconic cannot accept orders by weight for this model. Please note that shipments may contain animals with a larger weight variation.
Genetic Background: BALB/cBy x C57BL/6 F1 Hybrid Background
Origin: The rasH2 mouse was developed in the laboratory of Tatsuji Nomura of the Central Institute for Experimental Animals (CIEA) in Kawaski, Japan. The model was created by microinjecting the human c-Ha-ras gene into C57BL/6 x BALB/c F2 zygotes. Hybrid transgenes were constructed from two human HRAS (c-Ha-ras) genes isolated from malignant melanoma and bladder carcinoma tumors. The transgene integrated into the murine transgenic genome as 5-6 copies in tandem array. The resultant mice were backcrossed to C57BL/6J. Taconic received stock in March 2000 and again in December 2005. The mice were derived by embryo transfer and are maintained by intercrossing C57BL/6JJic-Tg(HRAS)2Jic hemizygous male mice with BALB/cByJJic female mice.
Genetics: Carries Nnt mutation
Color: Black Agouti
Saitoh A, Kimura M, Takahasi R, Yokoyama M, Nomura T, Izawa M, Sckiya T, Nishimura S, Katsuki M. (1990) Most tumors in transgenic mice with human c-Ha-ras gene contained somatically activated transgenes
. Oncogene, 5(8):1195-1200